Anti-inflammatories such as Advil, Aleve, and Ibuprofen sit in our medicinal cabinets as
staple drugs to relieve foot and ankle pain and swelling caused by exercise, work or life in
general. Although these anti-inflammatory drugs are in almost every household in the
U.S., there are other anti-inflammatory agents that are likely around the house as well
that you might have never considered trying before. Here’s a few of my favorite anti-
inflammatory foods that when incorporated into a well-balanced diet, research shows
they can assist in reduction of inflammation as well as boost your immune system! But
remember to ALWAYS consult your physician prior to use of these agents long term,
especially if you take medication, as even these simple ingredients can sometimes
interact with other medications!
- Curcumin- a popular Indian spice, member of the ginger family, which is also a superfood! Hundreds of studies are being published on the powerful anti-inflammatory effects of both spices for foot and ankle pain relief with osteoarthritis.
- Salmon- wild-caught salmon has more health benefits than the farm-raised;however, farm-raised salmon still is high in omega-3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation, prevent heart disease, and reduce symptoms of auto-immune diseases
- Green tea- a powerful antioxidant that decreases the severity of inflammation associated with heart disease, arthritis, and colitis
- Papaya- papain and chymopapain are enzymes in papayas that lower inflammation and improve healing. It’s already used in hundreds of wound care products for the lower extremities because of its healing and anti-inflammatory properties!
- Blueberry- studies reveal phytochemicals, a compound in blueberries, have been found to reduce inflammatory cycles in tissue as well as provide antioxidant properties making it a potent immune booster.
So if you suffer from foot and ankle pain, and you want some alternative choices for relief besides taking another medication, call Advanced Podiatry and make an appointment to discuss what your options are for your foot and ankle pain relief!