Video What Is A Podiatrist

Hi.  It’s Dr. Katz again with Advanced Podiatry in Tampa and I want to talk to you about what a podiatrist does.  In particular, should I see a podiatrist?  That’s a very common question.  Some people know the basics of what podiatrists do and what foot and ankle specialists do, but I want to clarify a few things for you.


So, first of all, should I see a podiatrist?  Well, here’s a [inaudible 00:00:38] note to figure out the answer to that question and that is, if you have anything at all going on with your foot or ankle and depending on the state, like in Florida, we do treat from the knee down, the lower leg.  So, if you have anything at all going on, then you can see a podiatrist, because we’re trained to treat all types of conditions.  It may be a skin condition.  In other words, you may have something where you have a rash on your skin.  You may even have skin cancer and we need to check it and see if it is truly skin cancer and we may need to biopsy it.  We do that in our office.  You may have a bone problem.  You may have arthritis, you may have a fracture.  You may have some sort of breaking down of the bony.  You may have injury to the bone, that’s certainly something podiatrists treat.  Any deformity, whether it’s a bump on the side of the foot, a bump on the top of the foot, the back of the foot, toes crossing over, toes moving upward or down, any of that is treatable and works in the hands of a podiatrist.


Not only are these things that podiatrist treat, but we are certainly the most highly trained for these types of problems.  So, then, what about circulation?  We do deal with people that have problems with their arteries and veins leading into the foot.  We deal with people that have problems associated with diabetes in the foot.  We deal with diabetic ulcers.  We deal with ulcers related to injuries and we deal with any type of infection, whether it be in the skin, the bone and anything as complex as ankle issues, ankle sprains, ankle fractures.


So, really, the point I‘m making here is you don’t need to go to a dermatologist for a skin condition on the foot and you can just come directly to us for any of these problems.  So, anything you need for the foot and ankle, lower leg, any type of care, then the answer is podiatrist.  Always check and get referrals from your primary care physician, if you need them and just know that, if you talk to your friends, they can often give you referrals as well.  So, if you have any type of foot or ankle problems, call us at Advanced Podiatry, at 813-875-0555.  You can reach us on the web at  So, if you have any problems, give us a call.  If you have any information that you need, you can go on our website and find out about all types of conditions and you can watch our videos.  Thanks for watching.  Thanks.